Monday, January 06, 2003

On My Own

Today, I tendered my resignation from the Firm. Seven years -- that is the exact time that it took me to decide I had enough. In that seven years, I grew from an over-eager, idealistic, hungry and aggressive young lawyer to an over-eager, idealistic, hungry and aggressive old lawyer.

My apprenticeship is done. I had the great privilege of working for a top gun Makati law firm and learning the tricks of the trade. I learned why law practice is different from law school. I learned that law and justice are two different paradigms. No mas. Tapos na. Henceforth, I am only working for myself. Like Kobe Bryant graduating from high school, I am now in the play for pay league. Like the Tans resigning from a Mcdonald's restaurant, I am resigning to put up Jollibee. I am no longer employed and vow never to be employed again.

I am joining a Bey Blade tournament with my two sons. I am bringing my wife to see Lord of the Rings. I am going to write my first law book. I am going to teach my first law school class. I am going to get paid by my own client. I am going to be my own lawyer. It is going to be great.

So help me God.

No comments: