Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Gospels Retold

I spent Black Saturday in Laiya Beach San Juan Batangas, and in between dips in the blue waters, I finished ten chapters of the book. Kazantsakis brings Christ to the monastery in the desert where he has a brief talk with the rabbi. After that conversation, Jesus begins his mission, and saves Mary Magdalene from the crowd, which was about to stone her. Then, Jesus retells the parables of the sower and the ten virgins with his disciples Simon,Jacob and Andres. Kazantsakis casts Judas as another dosciple who wants Christ to be the savior of Israel first before he becomes the savior of mankind. There is a brief exchange on this issue between the two, and I wonder how much of this material was taken from the Gospel according to Judas. The world is already celebrating Easter today, and I barely in the middle of this book. But no matter, I will continue to read it until I finish it even if it takes me until Christmas.

Happy Easter everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

I never thought then that "The Last Temptation of Christ" was a book first. I think I need to read this,..it must be so swell to scour though it.

I wonder how it fares with Anne Rice new book on Christ.